This is an odd one for us to include because, brrr, prawns, right? We have a hate/hate relationship with the little things here at Chubby Towers. However, we were given one of those fancy subscriptions where they send you a box of ingredients, a pleasing recipe card and enough packaging to make a forest cry. Included was a prawn stir-fry – and it was delicious. Perhaps it was the threat of starvation facing us as we looked down at the tiny ‘recommended portion size’ – but we overcame our prawn hatred, and vowed there and then to try to include prawns in our regular rotation.
We were given one of those fancy subscriptions where they send you a box of ingredients, a pleasing recipe card and enough packaging to make a forest cry. Included was a prawn stir-fry – and it was delicious. We overcame our prawn hatred
350g dried egg noodles
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp hoisin
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp honey
oil, for frying
300g prawns, cooked and peeled
10 cloves of garlic, crushed
5cm ginger, grated
2 red chillies, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced into matchsticks
2 spring onions, sliced
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the noodles according to the packet. Drain them and rinse under cold water, then drain again and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring another pan of water to the boil and add the broccoli. Reduce to a simmer for 4-5 minutes, until the broccoli is tender but with a bit of bite. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl mix together the soy sauce, hoisin, rice vinegar, honey.
- Heat a large frying pan over a high heat and spray with a little oil. Throw in the prawns and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Scoop them out into a bowl and set aside.
- Spray the frying pan with some more oil, then reduce the heat to low and add the garlic, ginger and chillies. Fry for around a minute, then increase the heat to medium-high and add the onion. Fry for a few minutes, then add the carrots and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add a couple of tablespoons of water to the pan. Cover with a lid and cook for a few minutes. Increase the heat again to medium then add the noodles. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes to warm through – if they get a big claggy, add a splash of water.
- Add the sauce mixture to the pan along with the broccoli and prawns. Fry for a further 1-2 minutes then serve, sprinkling the sliced spring onions over the top.