Center Parcs will close all its five UK resorts for a month from Friday due to coronavirus
- Center Parcs has announced that it would be closing its five sites across the UK
- The company’s villages will be temporarily closed from March 20 to April 16
- Move comes after health chiefs revealed that 71 Britons had now died from virus
- Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?
Center Parcs will be shutting down all of its five UK villages as the country tries to grapple with the coronavirus outbreak.
The leisure company announced that it would be closing its sites temporarily from March 20 to April 16 amid the ‘exceptional circumstances’ that the nation was now in.
The move comes after the UK’s health chiefs revealed that 71 Britons had now died from the virus and the number of confirmed cases had risen to 1,950.
Taking to Twitter the leisure company said: ‘In light of the latest government advice regarding coronavirus, the decision has been taken to close all of our UK villages from 20 Mar – 16 April 2020.
Center Parcs (Longleat Forest site pictured) will temporarily close its UK villages as the country tries to control the coronavirus outbreak
The company took to Twitter to announce that it would be closing its sites from March 20 to April 16
‘If you are due to visit during the above closure period we will shortly send you a text and email outlining the options available. We will continue to update our website with our latest stance.
‘Our Contact Centre team are inundated with calls and we kindly ask that you wait for us to contact you. Please do not call the Contact Centre.
‘We recognise that this will be disappointing news for many of our guests and we would like to thank you for your patience and understanding in these exceptional circumstances.’
Center Parcs told customers who has booked a date in the future at one of their resorts that they would be able to rebook for a new date and be offered a £100 discount.
The organisation also explained that customers should refrain from calling them directly and instead wait for the company to get in touch via text or email.
The company currently operates sites in Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire; Elveden Forest in Suffolk; Longleat Forest in Wiltshire; Whinfell Forest in Cumbria and Woburn Forest in Bedfordshire.
The leisure company asked those who had booked a break at one of their sites to wait for a text or email outlining the options
The leisure company’s announcement comes as NHS England confirmed 14 more deaths in the country from COVID-19.
Earlier today, officials said an additional 407 patients had been diagnosed with the illness in the past 24 hours – bringing the latest number of confirmed cases in the UK to 1,950.
On Monday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson stepped up the government’s response to the outbreak and urged the country to avoid ‘non-essential’ travel and contact with others and asked that people work from home if they could.
The virus, which initially saw millions of residents and tourists in China put on lock down to contain the spread, has now been transmitted between humans in 30 countries across Europe, including Spain, Germany and France, according to the World Health Organization.
CDC: HOW TO SLOW THE CORONAVIRUS SPREAD