Scott Cam says The Block’s shutdown has been ‘tough for everybody’

    0
    20


    Scott Cam says The Block’s shutdown has been ‘tough for everybody’ as he self-isolates during the coronavirus pandemic

    The Block host Scott Cam is in self-isolation after production on the show’s 16th season was suspended on Thursday due to coronavirus fears. 

    Speaking from his home in Melbourne on Friday, he said: ‘We’ve been working really hard on The Block for the last five or six weeks and I’ve seen some incredible Aussie spirit there, people just turning up for work every day, doing their job.

    ‘It’s been tough for everybody because they’ve been frightened and unsure in these uncharted waters.’

    Staying home: The Block host Scott Cam is in self-isolation after production on the show’s 16th season was suspended on Thursday due to coronavirus fears

    He added: ‘We realised that these guys and girls – tradesmen, apprentices, our contestants – were starting to get worried. 

    ‘They’re away from their families and we thought we’d do the responsible thing and unfortunately we have shut down The Block, temporarily.’

    Scott, who co-hosts the show with Shelley Craft, expressed his sympathy for the millions of Australians who have lost their jobs in the past week. 

    ‘It’s a terrible time. I’m thinking of you all and hopefully that Aussie spirit can prevail and we can get through this and come out the other side,’ he said.

    'It's been tough for everybody': Scott, who co-hosts The Block with Shelley Craft (left), expressed his sympathy for the millions of Australians who have lost their jobs in the past week

    ‘It’s been tough for everybody’: Scott, who co-hosts The Block with Shelley Craft (left), expressed his sympathy for the millions of Australians who have lost their jobs in the past week

    On Thursday, a Channel Nine spokesperson confirmed The Block contestants had been sent home due to travel bans, border shutdowns and safety concerns.

    They said: ‘The current production of The Block brought five teams from across Australia to Melbourne to compete in its 16th season.

    ‘Due to increasing travel bans, border shutdowns and additional measures, The Block has made the decision to suspend filming and send contestants home, while it is still possible to do so.’

    Safety first: Scott said The Block's producers had made the difficult decision to halt production when they realised the 'tradesmen, apprentices and contestants were starting to get worried'

    Safety first: Scott said The Block’s producers had made the difficult decision to halt production when they realised the ‘tradesmen, apprentices and contestants were starting to get worried’

    On hold: On Thursday, a Channel Nine spokesperson confirmed The Block contestants had been sent home due to travel bans, border shutdowns and safety concerns. The set will remain an active construction site, however, with local tradespeople building the home's frameworks

    On hold: On Thursday, a Channel Nine spokesperson confirmed The Block contestants had been sent home due to travel bans, border shutdowns and safety concerns. The set will remain an active construction site, however, with local tradespeople building the home’s frameworks

    ‘Separately from contestants, The Block employs many tradespeople and freelancers, who rely on income earned from The Block for a living.

    ‘The Block remains an active construction site with tradespeople, who live locally, completing building works that provide the framework of some homes.’  

    As of Friday, there are 3,112 confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Australia, including 13 deaths. 

    Pandemic: As of Friday, there are 3,112 confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Australia, including 13 deaths

    Pandemic: As of Friday, there are 3,112 confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Australia, including 13 deaths

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here