SAS Australia has been a ratings hit for Channel Seven this year.
And it’s believed producers are already on the hunt for a brand new cast of celebrities and public figures for season two.
On Tuesday, broadcaster Eddie McGuire hinted that notorious cancer faker Belle Gibson was lined up to join the military-style program in 2021.
Discussing the rumours, he wondered ‘at what stage do you draw the line’ in terms of casting controversial people for reality TV.
Scroll down for video
Eddie McGuire (pictured) questioned where TV execs ‘draw line’ casting controversial people and convicted criminals as he hints cancer fake Belle Gibson will join SAS Australia in 2021
The first season of SAS Australia featured several divisive stars, including convicted drug smuggler Schapelle Corby and accused drug cheat swimmer Shayna Jack.
This week, a court ruled that gold medallist Jack, 22, did not knowingly take a banned muscle-builder in 2019 and had her ban from the pool slashed in half.
‘Did I read this in the paper? They were mentioning SAS were casting that woman who was the fake cancer victim, Belle Gibson,’ Eddie said on Triple M Melbourne’s Hot Breakfast show.
‘I went,”Really?”‘ he added, as his co-host Seb Costello said: ‘Well, that’s the sweet spot of reality TV, isn’t it?’
‘I went,”really?”‘ Eddie claimed he was shocked Gibson might be offered a role on the show, but noted that its inaugural season saw convicted drug smuggler Schapelle Corby as a star
Gibson, 29, is an Australian convicted scammer and pseudoscience advocate. She is also the author of The Whole Pantry mobile app and cookbook. Pictured in 2019
‘if you’re going to knock off Pete Evans and you’re putting convicted drug trafficker Schapelle Corby… I mean, I don’t know, who’s the moral arbiter of these things?’ Eddie questioned
The conversation had started when the hosts mentioned how Channel 10 had earlier that morning dumped disgraced celebrity chef Pete Evans from the cast of I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! after he shared a neo-Nazi meme on Facebook followed by a sarcastic non-apology.
‘That’s my point there as well is, if you’re going to knock off Pete Evans and you’re putting convicted drug trafficker Schapelle Corby… I mean, I don’t know, who’s the moral arbiter of these things?’ Eddie asked.
‘I mean if you’re going to have it, you might as well have Ivan Milat [the deceased Australian serial killer] in as well, or you actually say, “No, we’re not going to have these type of people.” At what stage do you draw the line?’ he added.
Boned: Channel 10 has cut all ties with Pete Evans (pictured) after the disgraced celebrity chef shared a neo-Nazi meme on Instagram then offered a sarcastic non-apology
Shameful: Evans sparked outrage on Sunday when he shared a neo-Nazi meme on Facebook. He posted this cartoon of a caterpillar wearing a MAGA cap and a butterfly with the racist Black Sun emblem on its wing – with the suggestion being that neo-Nazism is the natural evolution for Donald Trump supporters
Daily Mail Australia has contacted Channel Seven for comment regarding rumours Belle Gibson is joining SAS Australia.
Gibson, 29, is an Australian convicted scammer and pseudoscience advocate. She is also the author of The Whole Pantry mobile app and cookbook.
The fraudster spent years lying about curing terminal brain cancer with healthy food, before Victoria’s consumer watchdog launched legal proceedings against her false claims in 2015.
Is it true? Daily Mail Australia has contacted Channel Seven for comment regarding rumours Belle Gibson is joining SAS Australia
In 2016, Gibson was fined $410,000 by the Federal Court for her false claims of charitable donations.
Earlier this year, Gibson claimed she was in financial crisis, drowning under the weight of $170,000 in personal debts including car finance for a BMW she no longer even owns.
That’s before she even gets to the $500,000 in fines she’s yet to pay back taxpayers.
Daily Mail Australia exclusively obtained a letter Gibson wrote to Victoria’s Department of Justice where the fraudster explained why she couldn’t pay back the mammoth fine.
Gibson revealed she was without a job and receives the parenting payment from Centrelink to care for her son.
Belle Gibson’s fake cancer saga: How it happened
October 1991: Belle Gibson is born
May 2009: Gibson claims to have undergone multiple operations on her heart and also momentarily died on the operating table
July 2009: Gibson claims that a doctor diagnosed her with terminal brain cancer and that she only had four months to live
Early 2013: She launches an Instagram account (@healing_belle) and accompanying website sharing healthy, wholefood recipes
Mid 2013: Gibson releases an app of her recipes
Mid-2014: Gibson begins working with Apple on the development of an Apple watch specific platform for the Whole Food Pantry
November 12, 2014: Cosmopolitan honours Gibson with a Fun, Fearless, Female award in the social media category
March 8, 2015: The Age newspaper releases an investigation into Gibson’s claims of donating proceeds to charity
April 2015: Women’s Weekly publishes an interview with Gibson, where she admits ‘none of it’s true’
May 6, 2015: Victoria’s consumer watchdog launches legal proceedings against Gibson’s false claims of defeating cancer by way of a wholefood diet
June 2015: Gibson gives a TV interview with Nine’s Tara Brown, program where she claims ‘I’m not trying to get away with anything’
September 2017: Gibson is fined $410,000 by the Federal Court for her false claims of charitable donations
The judge describes her as having a ‘relentless obsession with herself and what serves her best interests’
June 2019: Almost two years after she was ordered to pay the fine, Gibson tells the court: ‘I’m not in a position to pay a $410,000 fine at this stage’
December 2019: Consumer Affairs Victoria quietly issues a warrant ‘of seizure or sale’ against Gibson
January 22, 2020: Sheriff executes a ‘seize and sell’ warrant on Gibson’s Northcote home, following inquiries from Daily Mail Australia