Joe’s feelgood food: Tikka masala, halloumi and chickpea kachumba
1 x 210g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ small red onion
1 large ripe tomato
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
juice of ½ lemon
80g halloumi (⅓ pack)
2 tsp coconut oil
1 tbsp tikka masala curry paste
handful of mint leaves
- Drain the chickpeas in a sieve and rinse well. Leave in the sieve over a bowl to drain off any excess water.
- Finely chop the red onion. Roughly chop the cucumber and tomato, scrape everything into a serving bowl. Sprinkle in a good pinch of cayenne, salt and pepper. Squeeze in the lemon juice, stir.
- Cut the halloumi into large cubes. Ping the coconut oil in a large microwaveable bowl to melt. Stir in the tikka masala curry paste then drop in the cubed halloumi and rinsed chickpeas, toss to coat.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over a high heat. Tip in the tikka masala halloumi and chickpeas. Fry, turning the halloumi with tongs as it browns on each side, for 5 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Pile the halloumi and chickpeas on top of the kachumba salad. Finish with a scattering of mint.