Broncos blasted for ‘LYING’ and ‘hiding the truth’ over Selwyn Cobbo’s court appearance…as Brisbane young gun is banned from driving for six months and fined $700
- Cobbo appeared in court on Monday after being charged with road offences
- The Broncos winger was fined $700 and banned from driving for six months
- Brisbane had initially stated the teenager was away for personal reasons
- NRL reporter Ben Dobbin blasted the club for ‘hiding the truth’ to the media
An NRL reporter has accused the Brisbane Broncos of ‘hiding the truth’ and ‘lying to the media’ after it emerged Selwyn Cobbo was fined and disqualified from driving for road offences.
In a statement, the Broncos said the 19-year-old appeared in Nanango court on Monday after being charged with driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle while on a suspended licence.
Cobbo was fined $700 and has been banned from driving for six months. The young gun was not present at training at Red Hill on Monday, with the Broncos telling the media he was back in hometown of Cherbourg for personal reasons.
Selwyn Cobbo was fined $700 and banned from driving for six months on Monday
That particular version of events contrasted with the statement the club released late on Monday afternoon, which led to NRL reporter Ben Dobbin blasting the Broncos’ handling of the case.
‘The Broncos when we inquired where he [Cobbo] was actually said he was away at Cherbourg for personal reasons,’ Dobbin told Triple M’s The Rush Hour.
‘The personal reasons, and this is where the Broncos upset me more than anything, they deceive when they could have told the truth, they ducked around it.
‘I’m telling you right now the Broncos ducked around today and lied to the media. The truth is Selwyn Cobbo was in court today. […] This is becoming a pattern and I’m sick of it, I really am. […] It’s just stupidity.
The Broncos winger was charged with driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle while on a suspended licence last month
The teenager has been impressive for Brisbane this season and scored in the Broncos’ 32-12 win over South Sydney on Friday night (above)
In their statement, the Broncos said they informed the NRL Integrity Unit of the incident as soon as Cobbo was charged late last month and that the teenager had admitted his mistake.
‘Selwyn has acknowledged to the club that he made an error in judgement on this occasion,’ Broncos chief executive Dave Donaghy said.
‘Selwyn understands he will need to make better decisions in the future, particularly when it comes to complying with road safety. We will continue to support Selwyn off-field, as well as on it.
Broncos CEO Dave Donaghy said the club informed the NRL Integrity Unit of the case last month, soon after Cobbo was charged with road offences
‘The club acknowledges the importance of road safety and respecting road laws, as does Selwyn.’
Cobbo added: ‘I know I’ve done the wrong thing and I take full responsibility for that mistake. I’ll learn from this and I will strive to make better choices in the future.’
The Broncos are on a three-game winning streak and have climbed back into the top-eight following an impressive 32-12 win over the Rabbitohs in Sydney last Friday.
Brisbane face seventh-placed Manly, who are also 5-4 for the season, at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night in Magic Round.