The Melbourne Storm have reportedly ‘promised’ to table an improved offer to keep Cameron Munster at the club, as the saga surrounding the 27-year-old’s future rumbles on.
The Kangaroos and Queensland five-eighth is under contract with the Storm until the end of the 2023 season and has attracted interest from a number of NRL clubs, including the Dolphins, Broncos and Dragons.
Munster is due to make $1.2million next season, but salary cap constraints have limited Melbourne to table an offer for a two-year extension worth between $750,000 and $800,000-a-season.
The Melbourne Storm have reportedly tabled an improved offer to Cameron Munster
According to the Daily Telegraph, however, Melbourne and Munster have held further talks with the club now ready to offer a three-year deal and a bigger pay packet to retain the star five-eight’s services.
The report notes the Storm can’t match offers Munster has received from other clubs, but believe the 27-year-old can be convinced to remain with the club he’s spent his entire NRL career at.
The Dolphins have reportedly offered Munster a $1.2million-a-season deal to make him their marquee signing for the 2024 season, after Wayne Bennett has so far failed to land any of his top targets for Redcliffe’s inaugural campaign in the NRL next year.
Munster’s agent Braith Anasta said last week he would offer his client’s services to a number of NRL clubs.
The Storm initially offered Munster a two-year deal worth between $750,000 and $800,000
But have now tabled an offer for a bigger pay packet over the course of a three-year deal
‘The Broncos are certainly one club we are looking at,’ Anasta told The Sunday Mail.
‘The reality is Cameron Munster is one of the best players in the competition and there a very limited number of genuine premiership-winning halves.
‘I’d be shocked if the Broncos weren’t interested.’
Meanwhile, Daily Telegraph journalist Phil ‘Buzz’ Rothfield told 2KY’s Big Sports Breakfast on Sunday that the Dragons had entered the race for the Queensland star.
Munster’s agent Braith Anasta said he will offer his client’s services to a number of clubs
And he has reportedly been offered a $1.2m deal to join Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins in 2024
Munster has been in fantastic form this season, providing 10 try assists and eight line break assists in the first nine rounds – respectively the second-best and third-best tally in the NRL.
He has played a key role in Melbourne’s blistering start to the season, with the Storm top of the NRL ladder ahead of their clash against reigning premiers Penrith on Saturday.
One factor that could convince Munster to remain at AAMI Park is Craig Bellamy, who is expected to make a decision on his future in a matter of days.
The 63-year-old’s was meant to be finalised at the end of last month, but Melbourne opted to give the three-time premiership winner more time to decide.
Munster has played a key role in the Storm’s blistering start to the season, which has them top of the NRL ladder with eight wins in nine rounds
According to the Daily Telegraph, however, the Storm are confident their legendary coach will remain in charge for at least one more season.
Speaking to the same outlet two weeks ago, Anasta suggested his client’s future was closely linked to Bellamy’s.
‘He [Munster] loves playing for Bellyache [Bellamy] and it’s a really important part of his decision,’ Anasta said.
‘It’s not all about money.’
The Storm are confident Craig Bellamy will remain in charge for at least one more season
The Storm coach struck a similar hopeful tone last month when asked whether Munster may be wearing Melbourne colours past 2023: ‘He’ll make his decision when he’s ready, hopefully it will be to stay with us,’ Bellamy said.
‘I know the club, we all really want him to stay, it’s just a matter now of him being comfortable in when he wants to make a decision.’
Melbourne and Penrith are both 8-1 heading into their clash at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday in Magic Round.