Jude Bellingham slams the lack of support for victims of racism in football and reveals he received no message from the German FA or the Bundesliga after he was targeted with abuse online
- Jude Bellingham, 18, has hit out at the double standards of football authorities
- Bellingham says it’s wrong to punish players and not support victims of racism
- Bellingham was once fined £34,000 by the German FA for speaking out of turn
- It came after Bayern Munich took a 3-2 victory over Borussia Dortmund in 2021
- The Dortmund players and manager were furious with Felix Zwayer’s decision
- Bellingham brought up the referee’s involvement in a past match-fixing scandal
- Zwayer, 41, was banned for six months after the 2005 German football scandal
Jude Bellingham has hit out at the double standards of football authorities who punish players who say the wrong things but do not support victims of racism.
England international Bellingham was fined £34,000 by the German FA (DFB) for questioning the integrity of referee Felix Zwayer after his Borussia Dortmund team lost to Bayern Munich in December.
The teenager said he received no message of support from the DFB or the Bundesliga when he received racist abuse online after conceding a penalty against Cologne.
Jude Bellingham has hit out at the double standards of football authorities who punish players who say the wrong things but do not support victims of racism
Bellingham was once fined £34,000 by the German FA for speaking out of turn (above)
‘They were very quick to get into contact and give me my punishment, make it a big drama in the media,’ Bellingham told CNN Sport. ‘I’ve learned from that. When you give that more energy than the situation I was going through, maybe they don’t care.’
Bellingham also spoke of his disgust when England team-mates Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford and Bukayo Saka were hit by racist abuse after missing penalties in the Euro 2020 final shootout defeat.
‘As soon as they missed the penalty they’re not English, they’re just black,’ said the 18-year-old. ‘It’s disgusting, it’s hard to take as a team-mate. That could have been me. You’re English for seven games, you miss a pen and you’re nothing.’
Dortmund players were furious with a number of decisions given against them during their loss to Bayern Munich in 2021
Bellingham referenced Zwayer’s (above) involvement in a past match-fixing scandal